Monday, July 23, 2012

The Survival Kit

This is one of those books that centers around the death of a family member. Okay, let me just say that I don't usually tend to go for this type of book. It's not that I'm insensitive or anything, it's just that I don't particularly enjoy the slow plot and heavy mood. This one, despite being that topic, was so much better than I expected. I really liked it. So, give it a try: The Survival Kit by Donna Freitas. 
To an outsider, Rose Madison has it all: she's a beautiful cheerleader, dating the quarterback of the football team. Recently, though, her mother has died of cancer and those other things ceased to be important. Her only lifeline to cling to is the survival kit from her mother that she found after the funeral. Inside is:
-an iPod
-a picture of peonies
-a crystal heart
-a silver construction paper star
-a box of crayons
-a tiny handmade kite
The kit goes unopened for the first few months; the memories are too painful and Rose can't think about anything except keeping her grieving family together. Eventually, though, the kit gets opened and she starts to puzzle the meaning and purpose behind each object. An unexpected source of comfort and help is Will Doniger: star player on the hockey team, the family's landscaper, and surprisingly the only one who can understand what she's going through. Can loss lead to love?
Okay, I may have stolen that last line from the book jacket. It's cheesy, I know, but accurate. Anyway, I liked The Survival Kit because it was sad but not stiflingly so, and didn't spend the whole book in a state of depression. It brought in light here and there, and occasional humor. The characters are really well fleshed out and the plotline is interesting and new. Like I said: I enjoyed it even though I don't usually like these types of books, so you should give it a try too. It might just surprise you. Go get it at Kettleson.
One last thing. Have you prepared for the zombie apocalypse? Well, this is right up your alley. There's going to be a zombie-apocalypse-themed event at the library this Friday. Check out the sidebar for more details. You should come, it'll be cool!

1 comment: