Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls by Julie Schumacher


"My name is Adrienne Haus, and I’m a survivor of a mother-daughter book club.  For three of the four of us daughters, membership wasn’t voluntary.  My mother signed me up because I was stuck in West New Hope all summer with my knee in a brace. CeeCee  Christiansen’s parents forced her to join, canceling her trip to Paris when they found out she’d bashed up their car.  Jill was pressured by her mother, who thought she needed to socialize more.  Wallis was the only one who actually wanted to be in the book club.  No one knew why.
We were all going to be in AP English in eleventh grade.  But we weren’t friends.  We were not a sisterhood, and we didn’t share any traveling pants.  We were literary prisoners, sweating and reading classics and hanging out by the pool.  But of course that’s not the whole story.
If you want to find out how book clubs can kill people, you can try searching the Web for mother-daughter literary catastrophe.  Or you can read what I wrote for my summer AP English assignment.
Go ahead.  Here it is."

So, a break from John Green was in order. Don't worry, he'll be back soon. Anyway, this was a nicely contrasting book from the circumstances, though not too much. Instead of being a lazy Christmas, it was about a lazy summer.I liked that it wasn't too hugely pretentious or philosophical or anything like that; it was just an interesting, slightly out-of-the-box novel. It was plainly unapologetic without getting too r-rated or anything like that, and I liked it that way. It didn't adhere very much to boundaries, but it pushed them gently. I liked the characters--I didn't quite fall in love with them or anything, but they pulled me in. I'd recommend this to any girl who's open to a little rebellion. It's at Kettleson, you should really try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment